Thursday, July 2, 2009

Stuff

6/25/09

It’s been a while since I’ve written up anything, so I figured I would take this opportunity to update the world on what’s going on at my house.

As you may remember, I have two host sisters; one who teaches at the primary school, and one who just does housework. Well, a few months ago my family suddenly started stockpiling building supplies. I didn’t really know why and when I tried to ask what it was for I didn’t understand the response. And then month or so ago they suddenly began cutting down trees and clearing brush along the road in front of the house. As it turned out, they built a little shed to run a store out of. Now my host sister (the eldest one) stays out there all day selling little snacks and rope and various dry goods, as well as selling gas out of old glass Coke bottles. I guess they decided to open up yet another source of income?

I like it because she sells a lot of things that I would otherwise buy in the market, which cuts down the amount of time I have to spend outside of the house from maybe 20 minutes a day to 0 minutes…wait, why is that a good thing?

Other than that, school has been nonexistent. I’m trying to get my library project off the ground, but there have been…complications. As I mentioned before, my school is building a new library, and I wanted to raise some funds and make it really nice. My school director was on board, but then he went and talked to the donors. The donors basically said “absolutely not, don’t let the foreigner anywhere near that building.” So that is obviously out. But my school director, being cool, said that I could take one of the classrooms and turn it into an English library, and reading room. So that is basically what I am going to work on now. And the basketball court, if possible.

What else…oh, there are new puppies at our house. Our dog gave birth to three more puppies on the 5th or May. But two have already been given away, and I don’t know if they intend to keep the third one. I hope they do because I could start training him and have that be a little personal side project of my own. I’m in Phnom Penh now and will be away from site for a whole week, so I guess I’ll find out when I get home if he’s been given away or not.

Also, starting this month, I’m going to pay my family less money in rent, and start cooking one meal for myself every day. I’m doing this because quite frankly the food at my house is not very good. It’s edible, and that’s about all I can say for it. So, I will prepare lunch for myself, in addition to breakfast. There’s a very good chance that I will starve to death before the month is out.

Beyond that, it’s still the same old stuff in Romduel.

1 comment:

Ivy said...

Are you going to remain in your host's house? What is the temperature like in Cambodia? I am thinking about volunteering in the SE Asia area but I prefer cold or rainy places.